Monday, September 21, 2015

Why I chose Home Birth

1. Being in your own home is so much more comfortable than being in the hospital! at home you have your own bed to relax in after giving birth, your own food, shower, and towels.

  • home is comfortable because there aren't strangers walking in and out of your room at all hours of the morning and night. at home there's also a bed for my husband to relax in instead of a hard bench. 
  • since your mind can relax so can your body which makes it easier to relax for labor
  • at home you have much less inhibitions and are able to be free and do what you need to do to ease your pain.
  • it's nice to not be hooked up to an IV or have a blood pressure cuff squeezing your arm or stomach
  • at home you can eat or drink whatever you want to keep yourself energized and fueled up
2. Hospitals are scary!
  • just going into a hospital tenses my body up and gets my stomach churning. the more tense you are the the more fear affects your pain levels in your body. even the smells in the hospital are bothersome. everything is very rushed and emergency like and birth most of the time is not an emergency but a natural process your body knows how to do. 
3. When you are at home it's much easier to have your wishes followed for your birth. When you are in the hospital it's hard to stick to your guns in the heat of the moment unless you have a great birth advocate like a doula, which I recommend. 

4. I liked the idea of having my son at home even if he wasn't right there during the moment she came out. I didn't want to be away at the hospital for several days and then come home to my toddler. I thought it would make it harder for him to adjust to having a new sibling; if there were an added factor of mommy leaving him; unfortunately I did leave him for a night. I wanted him to be a part of the process and feel included.

5. At home you can deliver in the birthing pool, that part didn't work out for me but I did labor most of the time in the birth pool. The warm water surrounding me helped a lot with contractions. 

6. I wanted to deliver at home so afterwards I could shower and then relax in my own bed and just be with my family! I wouldn't have to go any where or pack up and drive home. Since I had to go to the hospital that part didn't fully work out. 

7. With being at home things were at my own pace, they weren't on a a hospital's timeline or another persons agenda. I was able to listen to my own body. I wasn't told when to push and was never checked for dilation during my pregnancy or delivery. 

8. You can use a midwife and deliver at home or the hospital or a birthing center but using a midwife this pregnancy from 18 weeks on was so much different and better than an OBGYN. I felt so connected, loved and genuinely cared for and to top all that off I didn't have to wait in the waiting room for an hour then go sit in a cold room for 30 more minutes. I felt much more educated too. 

9. My first pregnancy was healthy with no complications and with the second one I remained healthy and my first few appointments and my 18 week ultrasound were all great. 

10. I talked to several people that had home births and they had great things to say, not to say that it's a walk in the park. I was influenced by the movie "The Business of Being Born." I watched a lot of Youtube videos of actual home births and water births and read a lot of blogs and stories. There is so much done in hospitals and Obgyns that are just unnecessary and lead to more necessary things being done. I wanted to avoid a C-section. 

11. My husband was fully supportive and had faith in me that I could do it. 

12. I had many people praying that all would go well. 

13. It wasn't a large factor but I did think it would be a little cheaper than a hospital birth. 

I am probably forgetting something but I think I covered most of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment